Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Boring: Books or People?

Sexson made the statement early in the semester that there are "no boring books, just boring people" and I have spent the entire semester rolling this thought around in my head but am not sure that I have made a decision as to where I stand on that. I see books that I know are of no interest to me, books that will bore me, but is it I that am boring? Take, for example, an engineering structures manual, I know without a doubt that this book will bore me, most likely to the point of tears. Is itsimply because I am not aninteresting person enough to find this exciting? In this case it seems that, because I am not an engineer or an engineering student, or someone who knows anything about structures, there is the distinct possibility that I am the boring one and not the book, boring for not diversifying myself and learning the ways of structures and/or engineers. At the same time I pick up a book on Phenomonology (a part of philosophy) and am completely consumed by everything it has to tell me, that is to say, deeply interested by it. Someone who has not interest in philosophy or philosophical notions would most likely deem the book on Phenomonology boring and possibly unreadable. Is it because they themselves are not interesting enough to care for deep, abstract thought and philosophical notions? I would say yes, they are the boring ones and not the book. However when I see a cheesey romance novel, such as a Danielle Steele, I can't help but think that no matter how interesting one is those books could, in themselves, be boring as hell. The story is usually predictable and, well to be honest, crap. It seems to me that people read these books (if one wishes to call them that) to experience the sensations of lust, love, and, I suppose, joy and at times sadness but there is nothing of intellectual value in these stories, no real thought involved in their reading, and no deeper meanings to be had. So why not just watch television? It is such stories that I believe can be, and usually are, quite boring and not the people whom read them. However I suppose that can be said to be a biased viewpoint and that the matter of boring books or boring people is one of absolute subjectivity and as such is a matter which must be decided by each on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment